Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Vitamin D--not helpin' me (with cancer anyway)

About a month ago I read that vitamin D might reduce cancer risk. Now, call me crazy, but when I read this kind of information from a credible resource, I went on over to Whole Foods and laid down $5 for a bottle of vitamin D, mmkay?

Well, turns out I've been wasting my money. The National Cancer Institute published the results of a research study this week that said vitamin D doesn't actually help anyone protect themselves against non-Hodgkin lymphoma or any other rare cancers.

It was a pretty intricate study. Data from blood samples that were originally for 10 other studies were put together for this research. They studied to find out whether people who have high amounts of vitamin D in their systems were less likely to develop non-Hodgkin's lymphoma or cancer of the endometrium, esophagus, stomach, kidney, ovary, or pancreas. The American Journal of Epidemiology printed this quote from Dr. Demetrius Albanes of the National Cancer Institute: “We did not see lower cancer risk in persons with high vitamin D blood concentrations compared to normal concentrations for any of these cancers. And, at the other end of the vitamin D spectrum, we did not see higher cancer risk for participants with low levels.”

So basically, take as much or as little vitamin D as you want, it's not gonna affect your chances of getting cancer. Do take it for better bone health, however!

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. I've been taking vitamin D like a crazy person too! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a link to that research report? I'd like to see it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem, guys. And Ben, I don't have the link on hand, but the report can be found on the National Cancer Institute website. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete