Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Contaminated Schools

Last week I posted about schools in Alaska that were contaminated with PCBs. Today I came across a story about a television show that is going to follow “students, teachers and the community working together to renovate aging and broken public schools.” The article in question makes much of the fact that construction can release contaminants into the air and generally make it unsafe for habitation.

While I don’t think the show covers any of that subject, it did make me realize that this isn’t just a problem for Alaska schools. When I think back to my elementary days, I remember the school buildings seeming old even then. They were probably filled with PCBs and other contaminants. It’s a wonder really, that there aren’t more of us suffering like my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment